Tuesday, December 6, 2011

How to delete your mylife.com profile

I've found mylife.com to be one of the most difficult public information sites to remove info from. If you're like me, you don't want your information on the internet unless you put it there yourself. I looked all over the internet, the site, read the FAQ, etc.. and still couldn't find the elusive opt out link to remove the automatic profile listings mylife had of me. As a last resort, you can get your profile(s) removed by calling a phone number, but that isn't very convenient. I even claimed a profile by signing up and still couldn't find how to remove it. Merely deleting your account after you sign up does not remove it!

I finally found the opt out link! It was visible for a short time on the first page you're brought to when you click on an internet search result. It is currently invisible again (I looked with 3 different browsers), but is actually still there in the html. If you have a browser with a no style view option you can see it. You can also see it if you look at the page source. I believe mylife is purposely making online profile removal difficult by not having such a link in clear view for people to use.

Without further ado, below is the opt out URL to remove your profile from mylife.com:

http://www.mylife.com/pub/showMemDirAndPPOptOut.pub?adl=MEMBERID


To find your MEMBERID look at the URL for your particular profile. For example:
http://www.mylife.com/c-70000009
In this case, 70000009 is the member id. Fill out the form and your profile will be removed within days. It worked for me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get an error when I go to the link, but thanks for posting. Hopefully it won't be down for long. I'll try to find a phone number to call, as well.

Unknown said...

The form asks for quite a bit of personal information. I doubt it is to ensure my identity but to give them accurate info. I didn't fill it out.

L~ said...

Unfortunately, you do have to give the same info they have to verify it is you, before they will remove anything.

Anonymous said...

I called them and insisted that my account be removed. Next to your (large) initials in the top R corner is a drop down menu...select Deactivat Account and go through the steps. They claim it should take 7-10 days.

They claim that they get out private info. from other sites that sell it. This may be right because I did not open this acct.

L~ said...

Thanks for the update. I'm glad they finally added an easy option to deactivate an account.

Chris said...

You need to opt out of the site they are scrubbing your info from. For instance, MyLife's "service" was showing Checkmate as another site that was giving out my info. I opted out of Checkmate then went back and deactivated the MyLife account.